Obesity poses a significant risk for various health issues. Fortunately, weight loss surgeries can assist individuals in shedding pounds and decreasing these hazards.
Berlin is an excellent destination for health tourism, particularly for weight loss surgeries, as it provides high-quality and affordable healthcare services with minimal wait times.
In this article, we will provide an overview of weight loss surgery options, procedures, costs, and reputable clinics in Berlin. Let's begin.
What is Obesity & Weight Loss surgery?
Obesity and weight loss surgeries, also known as bariatric surgeries, involve altering the patient's digestive system to enable weight loss and improve conditions related to obesity such as diabetes, high blood pressure, arthritis, sleep apnea, and acid reflux. These surgeries not only aid in weight loss but also decrease the risk of developing severe health issues such as heart disease, stroke, and cancer.
Types of Obesity & Weight Loss Surgeries in Berlin
There are several types and options of obesity and weight loss surgery available. Some of the most popular and commonly performed options in Berlin include:
1. Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy (Gastric Sleeve)
Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy, also known as Gastric Sleeve surgery, is a popular bariatric procedure. During the surgery, a significant portion of the stomach is removed, leaving behind a smaller, functioning stomach. This results in a reduction of food intake, which can lead to a loss of 50-70% of excess weight.
It's worth noting that this surgery is irreversible, as a significant portion of the stomach is removed.
- To be eligible for the surgery, patients must have a body mass index (BMI) of 35 to 40 or higher.
- The surgery typically takes 1-1.5 hours and is performed under general anesthesia.
- Patients will typically spend 3-4 nights in the hospital.
- The weight loss results may vary, but patients typically reach their lowest weight 1.5-2 years after surgery, where they can lose 75-80% of their excess weight. However, it's important to note that the results are not stable, and most patients gain 5-10 kg in weight. After that, the weight usually stabilizes, but it depends on the patient's lifestyle.
- Pregnancy after surgery can be planned 16-18 months after the procedure.
2. Gastric Balloon
A Gastric Balloon procedure is a weight loss treatment in which a high-quality silicone rubber balloon is inserted into the stomach. The balloon is filled with a specific amount of saline, usually 500 ml, which reduces the stomach volume and causes the patient to feel full faster. This leads to weight reduction.
Note: The balloon is removed from the stomach after 6-12 months, using the same method of insertion.
- This procedure is suitable for patients with a Body Mass Index (BMI) between 27 and 40.
- The procedure itself takes about 20 minutes and is done under light anesthesia or mild sedation.
- There is no need for overnight stays in the hospital and patients can expect to lose weight within the first 1-2 months, with the reached weight being supported for the next 4-5 months.
3. Non-Surgical Stomach Reduction
Non-surgical stomach reduction is a weight loss procedure that involves injecting a muscle relaxant into 15-20 parts of the stomach. This causes the stomach muscles to work more slowly and reduces the release of the appetite hormone, making the patient feel full for a longer period of time.
The procedure is performed using an endoscope through the mouth, and it's considered one of the safest weight loss procedures as it doesn't require incisions or general anesthesia.
It's important to note that the muscle relaxant dissolves completely 4-6 months after the procedure and the effect only lasts during that period. The procedure can be repeated.
- This procedure is suitable for patients with a Body Mass Index (BMI) between 27 and 35, but not higher than 40.
- The procedure typically takes 15-30 minutes and is done under drug anesthesia and sedation.
- There is no need for overnight stays in the hospital, and patients can expect to lose 10-15% of their total weight over a period of 3 to 6 months.
- Pregnant or breastfeeding women are not suitable candidates for this procedure.
Things You Should Know Before Your Obesity & Weight Loss Surgery in Berlin
- Obesity and weight loss surgeries can be effective options for individuals looking to lose weight, however it's important to note that no method can guarantee weight loss.
- It's crucial to choose a reputable and certified clinic with skilled specialists. Berlin offers many top-notch specialists and high-end clinics for obesity and weight loss surgeries.
- Patients' BMI and medical history will play a key role in determining if they are suitable candidates for weight loss surgery and the type of procedure that is best for them.
- Those with hormonal diseases or other medical conditions may not be suitable for all types of weight loss surgery.
- It's important for patients to pay close attention to their diet after surgery and follow aftercare instructions provided by their doctor, including recommended nutrition and physical activity.
- Also, it's important for patients to avoid smoking and alcohol for a certain period before and after the surgery.
- Rapid weight loss can cause skin to become saggy, and it's important to note that the results of weight loss surgery are not permanent.
- The outcome of the surgery will depend on the patient's adherence to post-surgery instructions.
- After surgery, it is recommended to follow a liquid or semi-solid diet for the first 1-2 weeks, depending on the procedure, and to drink a lot of water. This will help the body to heal and adjust to the changes.
- The first results of the surgery are usually visible within a couple of weeks, and further weight loss will continue in the following weeks and months.
- It is important to note that weight loss results may vary depending on individual factors and adherence to post-surgery care guidelines, including diet and exercise.
Procedure of Obesity & Weight Loss Surgery in Berlin
The first step for your obesity & weight loss surgery in Berlin is to submit your medical history to your treating doctor. During an online consultation, you will discuss together the risks and benefits of the surgeries and determine which procedure is the right one for your specific case. Your doctor will give you all important information and inform you about possible complications and aftercare.
After your arrival in Berlin, you will visit the clinic for a consultation and check-up one day before your planned obesity & weight loss surgery. You and your doctor will discuss the chosen type of Weight Loss Surgery and the surgical method.
The surgery is typically scheduled for the next day. In most cases, you will come on an empty stomach. After a blood test, you will once again consult with your attending physician and then be prepared for surgery.
The duration of the surgery depends on the type of obesity & weight loss surgery (Gastric Balloon, Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy, Non-surgical stomach reduction) and its complexity.
Patients that have undergone Non-surgical stomach reduction or gastric balloon surgery can typically leave the clinic after a couple of hours, and even fly home the same day.
Gastric Sleeve surgery is performed under general anesthesia, which is why you should expect to spend 3 to 5 days in the clinic, depending on your condition. During this time, your doctor will regularly check on your condition and the operated area. Before leaving the hospital, your treating doctor will inform you about aftercare and medications. The following days, you will come a last time to the clinic for a final control and consultation with your doctor.
How Much is Obesity & Weight Loss Surgery in Berlin?
The cost of obesity and weight loss surgeries in Berlin can vary depending on the type of surgery, the clinic, the surgeon's experience and the package offered.
It's important to note that these prices are approximate, and patients should consult with the clinic for an accurate cost estimate. Additionally, some insurance might not cover these procedures, so it's good to check in advance with the insurance company.