Germany has become a leading destination for laser eye surgery, especially for those with visual impairments such as nearsightedness, farsightedness, or astigmatism. This is due to the country's expertise in this field and the availability of highly qualified and skilled ophthalmologists and top-notch clinics, particularly in Berlin.
In this article, we will provide information on the best clinics for laser eye surgery in Berlin, the different types of surgery available, costs, and important things to know before undergoing laser eye surgery.
Let's jump in!
What is Laser Eye Surgery?
Laser eye surgery, also known as refractive or laser surgery, is a popular method for correcting various types of vision impairments. A laser is used to reshape the cornea, the clear outer surface of the eye, to improve the way light enters the eye. The specific surgical technique used will determine the degree to which nearsightedness, farsightedness and astigmatism can be corrected. Typically, nearsightedness of up to 10 degrees, astigmatism of up to 6 degrees and farsightedness of up to 6 degrees can be improved with laser eye surgery.
Types of Laser Eye Surgery
Below are some of the most common eye surgery techniques:
This method, which stands for "Laser Assisted In Situ Keratomileusis," is the most widely used laser treatment in the world. It uses two lasers to quickly and painlessly correct the eye's refractive error by reshaping the cornea.
This innovative method uses a computer-controlled femtosecond laser to make highly precise incisions, resulting in faster healing and fewer complications.
This newer procedure, which stands for "Small Incision Lenticule Extraction," uses only one laser to reshape the cornea through a small hole. Recovery time is slower than traditional LASIK, but it is said to have fewer safety features.
This method, which stands for "Laser Assisted Sub-Epithelial Keratomileusis," is a surface laser procedure that is not as popular as LASIK. It involves more discomfort and a longer recovery time, and is usually used when LASIK is not an option.
Things You Should Know Before Your Laser Eye Surgery in Berlin
- Germany has become a leading country in the field of laser eye surgery, with a high number of procedures performed annually, experienced ophthalmologists, and affordable prices.
- The cost of laser eye surgery in Berlin is significantly lower than in Europe or the United States, and patients can combine the procedure with a sightseeing trip in Berlin.
- However, it is important to note that laser eye surgery is not recommended for individuals under 21 years of age, as well as those with certain medical conditions or who are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- The LASIK procedure has a low complication rate, and patients can expect a quick recovery with good vision within 24 hours. However, dry eyes are a common side effect and it is important to follow post-surgery care instructions, including avoiding certain activities for a certain period of time.
- It is important to note that people with diabetes, cataracts high eye pressure or systemic diseases such as HIV, lupus or rheumatoid arthritis are not suitable for laser eye surgery.
- Good candidates for this procedure are those who are over 21 years of age and have had a stable prescription for glasses/contact lenses for at least 2 to 3 years.
- It is important to avoid alcohol and cigarettes for 1 week before the planned procedure.
- To ensure optimal results, patients should refrain from competitive sports until 2 weeks after laser eye surgery, and swimming, sauna and solarium should be postponed for 4 weeks.
- Don’t be worried if your eyes are dry in the following days and weeks after the surgery. Dry eyes are a common side effect and your doctor will most likely provide you with eye drops.
- You may also notice that your vision is blurry and fluctuates or that you experience a rise in sensitivity. These are all normal side effects.
Procedure of Laser Eye Surgery in Berlin
Before undergoing laser eye surgery, patients will typically have a consultation with their eye doctor, during which their medical history will be reviewed and the appropriate surgery technique will be determined. This consultation may take place online and will include a discussion of the risks and benefits of the procedure, as well as post-surgery care instructions.
Once in Berlin, patients will have a final examination with their eye doctor to confirm their candidacy for the procedure and the chosen method. The surgery is typically performed the next day.
The LASIK procedure typically takes between 5 and 15 minutes per eye and is performed using drop anesthesia to minimize pain. After the procedure, patients may experience light sensitivity and are advised to wear sunglasses for the first 24 hours.
Follow-up appointments are typically scheduled for the day after the surgery to monitor the patient's progress and ensure proper healing.
How Much is Laser Eye Surgery in Berlin?
The cost of laser eye surgery in Berlin is an affordable option for those looking to improve their vision. It's worth noting that the cost may vary depending on factors such as the type of procedure, and the experience and qualifications of the surgeon.
get a Free consultation
We would be pleased to talk about your expectations.
You can contact us by phone or Whatsapp +90 537 977 89 75, email to email@example.com or by using the contact form.
We will respond to your request within less than 48 hours.
Note: Our contracted hospitals, clinics and physicians will get in touch with you regarding the treatment you have requested.