In our ultimate guide to buying the best prepaid SIM card in Germany for tourists, you'll get all the information you need.
Learn how to find the best deals on German SIM cards as a traveler and find answers to key questions such as where and how to get a SIM card in Germany, which are the best SIM card deals for tourists and how much they cost. Also read about local mobile providers and the best network in Germany, as well as other ways to buy a SIM card, such as e-SIM cards.
Do I really need a German SIM Card for Berlin?
- If you are from Europe, you generally do not need a SIM card, as since 2017 roaming in the EU (and the European Economic Area) is free. Thus, in most cases, it is not necessary to purchase a German SIM card if you already have an SIM card from the EU/EEA. Note, however, that some mobile operators have special conditions, so you should check the terms of your home operator in advance.
- If you are not from Europe, you will most likely need a German SIM Card, especially if you are from America. Otherwise, you will have to face expensive international roaming rates. By buying a German SIM card, you can also make sure that your mobile data connections are reliable, secure and fast.
Book your SIM Card for Germany online before your Trip
1. The Holafly Prepaid e-SIM Card for Berlin
For travelers who only need mobile data and no phone calls or SMS for their trip to Germany, we have the perfect solution: Holafly's easy-to-use prepaid e-SIM card.
Holafly offers a digital e-SIM card with unlimited mobile data service at 4G / LTE speed.
This way, you don’t have to worry about high roaming costs when traveling, and enjoy unlimited internet as if you were at home.
Let's have a look at the prices and conditions of this card.
How does Holafly work?
- Choose the data plan you want and purchase the Holafly prepaid e-SIM card here. You will immediately receive a QR code containing the e-SIM Card by email.
- Scan the QR code one day before your departure.
- Turn off your local provider’s cellular data.
- Set your phone's options so that your mobile phone uses Holafly's internet.
- Activate your QR code after you arrive in Germany, turn on data roaming from your phone’s setting and use your Holafly SIM card during your stay.
Compatibly: Before purchasing the Holafly SIM card, make sure that your mobile phone is unlocked and compatible with the Holafly service. It is available for the following cell phones: From the iPhone XS, XR onward; Samsung Galaxy S20, S20+, S20 Ultra, Samsung Galaxy Fold, Fold 2, Samsung Galaxy Note 20, Samsung Galaxy Z Flip and onwards; Huawei P40, P0 Pro, Huawei Mate 40 Pro and later models; Google Pixel 3, 3a (some versions do not allow eSIM), Google Pixel 4, 4 XL, 4a, 5 and later models; Oppo Find X3 Pro, Oppo Reno 5A, Motorola Razr (2019) and Motorola Razr 5G (dual SIM).
The easy eSIM for Germany by Holafly (recommended):
Here are the prices and conditions for the eSIM by Holafly. The ones in red are the most popular ones picked by travelers.
- 5 Days Unlimited Data in Germany (approx. 19€)
- 10 Days Unlimited Data in Germany (approx. 34€)
- 15 Days Unlimited Data in Germany (approx. 47€)
- 20 Days Unlimited Data in Germany (approx. 54€)
- 30 Days Unlimited Data in Germany (approx. 64€)
- 60 Days Unlimited Data in Germany (approx. 84€)
- 90 Days Unlimited Data in Germany (approx. 99€)
Please visit these websites for more details and up-to-date prices on the various offers:
For more information and 5% discount, click on this link:
2. Rent a Pocket Wifi in Berlin
You can easily rent a Pocket Wifi Device for the time you are in Berlin and access internet through it anytime. It is a device that connects you to internet without limitation and through several devices (phone, tablet and computer). The access to internet is fast and covered anywhere in Germany and Europe at 4G/LTE speed.
The process to rent a pocket Wi-Fi is very easy:
- Book your device on through this link
- Get your device delivered to you at your hotel or any address you want in Berlin
- Use the device(s) according to the guideline during your trip
- Before leaving the country, return the device in the Pre-paid and self-addressed return envelope as instructed
And voilà! Now you have internet during your travel to Berlin. For more information, click the button below.
Where to buy your German SIM Card in Berlin?
1. In the City
Everywhere in the city, there are plenty of opportunities to buy a prepaid SIM card for Germany. First and foremost, there are the official stores of the mobile operators, which we also recommend, as you can find both helpful staff and the best deals here.
But you can also easily buy prepaid SIM cards in phone stores, supermarkets, electronics stores like Mediamarkt, drugstores and even at gas stations.
2. At the Airport
It is also possible to buy your prepaid SIM card upon arrival at Berlin Airport. Although it can be an advantage to have your German SIM card as soon as you arrive in Berlin, keep in mind that the selection at the airport is very limited, and the prices are much higher than in the city.
Important: If you bought your prepaid SIM card in a store in Germany, where it couldn’t be activated on-site (e.g a drug store, gas station), you will need to activate it online via VideoID. Here are the relevant links for Telekom, for Vodafone Germany and for O2 Germany.
As the websites are only available in German, we advise tourists to buy their German SIM card directly from an official Vodafone, Telekom or O2 store, or a phone shop.
Things you need to buy a prepaid SIM card in Germany
In order to buy your German SIM card and register it, you will need the following items:
- An unlocked phone
- Official, valid photo ID or valid passport
- German address (hotel or AirBnB)
- Registration in person or online via VideoID
Mobile Operators in Germany
- Germany has a well-developed 4G network; rural areas may have limited 4G coverage, while larger cities have 5G network.
- In Germany, there are three local mobile operators: Vodafone, Deutsche Telekom and O2.
- There are also some MNVOs that use the mobile network of the major operators. Normally, they do not have their own stores and have poorer network coverage, which is why they are not recommended for tourists.
- Deutsche Telekom, formerly Telekom, has the best 4G/ 5G network coverage.
- Vodafone has the second-best network coverage.
- O2 has very good network coverage in major cities like Berlin, but not in rural areas.
Costs for buying a Prepaid SIM Card in Germany for Tourists
The three major mobile carriers do not offer prepaid SIM cards specifically designed for tourists in Germany.
Moreover, prepaid SIM cards with unlimited data plans are usually very expensive in Germany, with prices ranging from €69 to €99. That's why we haven't listed these offers.
Instead, below you can see the best German SIM card deals that we think are the most interesting for tourists:
1. Vodafone Germany
- CallYa Allnet Flat S: This deal comes with 3 GB data (at 4G/5G speed) + unlimited calling/SMS in Germany + 200 minutes or SMS from Germany to the EU. It is 4 weeks valid and costs 9.99€.
- CallYa Allnet Flat M: This package includes 6 GB data (at 4G/5G speed) + unlimited calling/SMS in Germany + 500 minutes or SMS from Germany to the EU. It is 4 weeks valid and costs 14.99€.
- CallYa Digital: The CallYa Digital deal comes with 15 GB data (at 4G/5G speed) + unlimited calling/SMS in Germany. It is 4 weeks valid and costs 20€.
For more information and up-to-date prices, please refer to the
2. Deutsche Telekom
- MagentaMobil Prepaid M: This package includes 3 GB data (at 5G speed) + unlimited calling/SMS in Germany + 10€ starting credit. It is 4 weeks valid and costs 9.95€ + additional 9.95€ one-time card price.
- MagentaMobil Prepaid L: This deal comes with 5 GB data (at 5G speed) + unlimited calling/SMS in Germany + 15€ starting credit. It is 4 weeks valid and costs 14.95€ + additional 14.95€ one-time card price.
- MagentaMobil Prepaid XL: The XL deal includes 7 GB data (at 5G speed) + unlimited calling/SMS in Germany + 25€ starting credit. It is 4 weeks valid and costs 24.95€ + additional 24.95€ one-time card price.
Please visit the official Telekom Website for more details and current prices (only in German).
3. O2 Germany
- O2 my Prepaid S: This plan includes 3.5 GB data (at LTE Max. Speed) + unlimited calling/SMS in Germany. It is 4 weeks valid and costs 9.99€
- O2 my Prepaid M: This package comes with 6.5 GB data (at LTE Max. Speed) + unlimited calling/SMS in Germany. It is 4 weeks valid and costs 14.99€
- 02 my Prepaid L: This plan includes 12.5 GB data (at LTE Max. Speed) + unlimited calling/SMS in Germany. It is 4 weeks valid and costs 19.99€
For more details and the current prices, please check the official 02 Germany website (only in German).
We clearly recommend tourists in Germany the Holafly prepaid e-SIM card. This is not only the easiest way to buy a prepaid SIM card for Germany, but also the fastest. Since prepaid SIM cards in Germany are quite expensive, especially those with unlimited data plans, the Holafly e-SIM card is the best choice for travelers to get unlimited data for little money.
Besides, you can set up the card in just a few minutes and start using your phone as soon as you land in Berlin. As a plus, you don't have to worry about the SIM card registration procedure in Germany, and can keep your own phone number. And instead of making phone calls, you can simply use WhatsApp or similar apps.
If you are looking for a physical SIM card, Holafly offers that too. The great thing is that Holafly's SIM card provides unlimited data and can be used not only in Germany, but also in more than 30 countries in Europe. Therefore, this card is a fantastic option for travelers who want to take a road trip in Europe.
FAQ about SIM Card in Germany
You can buy your German SIM card at the official stores of the mobile operators, at phone stores, supermarkets, electronics stores like Mediamarkt, drugstores and even at gas stations. We don’t recommend buying your German SIM card at the airport, as the prices are generally higher and the selection limited.
Keep in mind that you need to register your SIM card in Germany in person or via VideoID. Therefore, you need a valid ID, a German address and an unlocked phone.
Since the registration websites are only available in German, we advise tourists to buy their SIM card for Germany directly from an official Vodafone, Telekom or O2 store or from a phone shop that will do it for you.
Since Vodafone Germany offers a very competitive 4G/5G network as well as an attractive range of prepaid SIM cards, we think the Vodafone Germany prepaid SIM cards are a good choice for tourists in Germany.
In terms of coverage and speed, Deutsche Telekom is the best local mobile operator in Germany. This is why, you might opt for a Telekom prepaid SIM card.
In terms of prices, we recommend buying Holafly’s e-SIM card. German prepaid SIM cards with unlimited data plans are very expensive and can range between 69€ and 99€. With the digital Holafly e-SIM card, you get unlimited internet, which can be used in more than 30 countries in Europe. That makes Holafly’s e-SIM card a very popular choice with travelers planning to visit multiple countries.
Prepaid SIM cards in Germany are much more expensive compared to other European cities. Here, you pay around €10 for a prepaid SIM card with a 3 GB data plan with unlimited calls/SMS in Germany and €20 for a 12 to 15 GB data plan with unlimited calls/SMS in Germany (valid for 4 weeks). Unlimited data plans even cost between 69€ and 99€. Therefore, it makes a lot of sense to opt for a digital eSIM card instead, such as the Holafly eSIM card, where you pay €34 for a 10-day plan with unlimited data.